Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Most Ineffectual Man in New York City

I am only doing this in an attempt to ensure my ability to sleep tonight, but I think I need to get this off my proverbial chest. It is so fucking absurd I don’t think anyone will believe me.

Flashback to September: The weekend before school started my husband and I went to my building to clean up a room that had been trashed. We unpacked boxes, cleaned desks, swept, put up paper and decorations, fixed bookshelves, put books on shelves and so on, making sure the students had a decent place to learn. By the way, I paid for all the cleaning and decorating supplies and did NOT get paid to clean that room on a Saturday.

Flashback to October: On open school night, when the parents come to look at our school, I cleaned up two rooms, my regular room and the trashed out room. No other teacher helped. Certainly no administrators helped. The only people who helped were some very sweet students.

Flashback to last week: I get a memo in my box that there is a “team meeting” in that room. I go, and the flakey American History teacher has read a book called “Feng Shui in the Classroom.” He wanted me to help him get rid of our novels. I insisted on keeping the library.

Today: Spongebob the idiot Administrator thanked Mr. Flakey in front of a staff meeting on his “amazing results” and his “outside reading.” What a joke. The whole room is totally disgusting, just as it was before. The only difference is that some books we didn’t need are now in a cupboard.

Does Spongebob have any idea how alienating he is? Why do I work there? How can I get out? What the fuck is wrong with me for working there in the first place? Why doesn’t he just quit and become a stay-at-home loser? Why do stupid people stay in education?

This, exactly this, is why the general public thinks lowly of the field of education. All smart people leave the industry because it is so fucking ridiculous.

I quit.

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM , Blogger Miss Edukat said...

"Who made that man a gunner?" "I did, Sir,he's my cousin."
"Who's he?"
"He's an Asshole sir"
"I know that. What's his name?"
"That is his name sir, Asshole, Major Asshole" "And his cousin?"
"He's an asshole too, Sir, Gunner's Mate, First Class, Phillip Asshole."
"How many Assholes we got on this anyhow?"
"YO!"
"I knew it, i'm surrounded by Assholes!" CHINK! "Keep firing Assholes!"

Miss B you are indeed surrounding by a-holes. I wonder if they are ever going to fix the rat problem or the peeling paint.

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger NYC Educator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger NYC Educator said...

Perhaps they were simply impressed that he'd read a book, in the vague hope that they too, some fine day, would accomplish the same.

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger ms. v. said...

If you're interested in the next NYC teacher-blogger happy hour, drop me a line at ms.frizzle@gmail.com. :-)

 
At 12:01 AM , Blogger Miss Dennis said...

Hi Ms. Building,

Are you still blogging? I think you must teach at my old school. Seriously, I love your frankness and we have lots in common. House on Mango Street, working with assholes, etc. You can commiserate w/ me at Your Mama's Mad Tedious: Diary of a Bronx Teacher http://madtedious.blogspot.com

Miss Dennis

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home